MWSS says suspension of water disconnection still in effect
The regulatory office (RO) of the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) said that the two Metro Manila water concessionaires still cannot disconnect the water supply of customers who have not paid their bills, following the government’s decision to extend the second strictest lockdown level over capital and nearby areas.
“The MWSS RO’s directive to Maynilad and Manila Water to suspend all service disconnection activities is still in effect,” the MWSS Public Information Office told reporters in an e-mailed press advisory on Friday.
On Wednesday, President Rodrigo R. Duterte announced in a televised address that he is extending the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) status over Metro Manila and the provinces of Bulacan, Rizal, Laguna and Cavite until May 14.
Earlier this month, the MWSS stretched the suspension of disconnection activities up until the MECQ status in the capital region was to be lifted on May 1.
Metro Pacific Investments Corp., which has a majority stake in Maynilad, is one of three Philippine units of Hong Kong-based First Pacific Co. Ltd., the others being Philex Mining Corp. and PLDT, Inc. Hastings Holdings, Inc., a unit of the PLDT Beneficial Trust Fund subsidiary MediaQuest Holdings, Inc., has an interest in BusinessWorld through the Philippine Star Group, which it controls. — Angelica Y. Yang